We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
We have the very latest information and advice for managing the local government workforce in relation COVID-19.
We will update these pages regularly and also provide information via the Workforce Team twitter account on @LGAWorkforce.
- The DfE has confirmed that schools should be open over Easter for vulnerable children and children of critical workers
- LGA working with Social Work England to set up a temporary social work register
- New guidance on managing apprenticeships during COVID-19
- The UK Public Health Register has waived its professional requirements and is also asking recently retired public health professionals to re-register during COVID-19
- The Home Office as agreed changes to statutory recruitment checks during COVID-19
LGA Workforce COVID-19 quick links
Green Book circulars – statements and circulars from the NJC for Local Government Services with particular reference to terms and conditions, home working and maintain social distancing for jobs that cannot be done from home.
Burgundy Book – statements and circulars for schools and councils to manage the workforce implications of closing schools and manage schools and staff that remain open for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers.
COVID-19 Workforce FAQs – employment law focused frequently asked questions for England and Wales only.
Fire and Rescue Services – statements and circulars for changes to working agreements during COVID-19.
The Modification order
The primary significance of the Order is in relation to redundancy.
21st Century Public Servant
Theory and practice around how our best 21st Century Public Servants operate alongside help for organisations to review job design, workforce planning, organisational culture to support excellent service delivery.
Timewise Councils Initiative
This programme supports organisations to drive cultural change and best practice on flexible working, as a way to retain and attract the best talent, and maximise their performance.