Alongside the majority of councils, we have declared a climate emergency. Collectively councils are taking action to reduce carbon emissions and working with partners and local communities to tackle climate change in their areas.
Across the country, councils are taking urgent actions in their local areas to combat the negative impacts of climate change and to deliver zero net carbon by 2030. Examples of this work can be found on our climate change case studies hub.
We are committed to supporting councils to continue to do so in the best way possible, and in this hub we are bringing together an overview of our support offer, information on upcoming events as well as relevant publications and best practice case studies.
You can read more about our commitment to sustainability and climate action in our business plan for 2019-2022.
LGA's climate change support offer
As part of our sector-led improvement work, the LGA offers a wide range of support to help councils address the issues of climate change and environmental sustainability, including:
- A Leadership Essentials programme on taking responsibility as a leader/portfolio holder after declaring a climate emergency; next dates 29 February - 1 March in Maidenhead.
- Programmes to help councils innovate and address both efficiency and climate change through our Design in the Public Sector, Behavioural insights, and Digital programmes.
- An ‘Acting on climate change’ councillor workbook designed to help councillors think about the roles, opportunities and drivers for council-led action on changing climate.
- Numerous case studies and best practice examples
- Our New Conversation 2.0 guide to engaging dialogue with residents, from consultations through to people’s everyday interactions with their local authority, including on issues of climate change.
- Support from Local Partnerships, including their Re:fit programme helping councils implement energy efficiency and local energy generation measures to their buildings or their estate, to reduce carbon emissions and achieve savings.
We are very interested in councils’ ideas about other types of support they require in this work and will be engaging with our members early in 2020 to develop an enhanced offer of support. If you want to get involved or have ideas, please get in touch by emailing [email protected]